Knives and scalpels are sharp, they work best when sharp and they are safer to use when sharp as less effort is required to cut through material. However, a few simple tips will ensure that you do not have to waste valuable modelling time running for a bandage or bothering the medical profession…
- Always keep your fingers away from, and preferably behind the blade when cutting.
- Make light multiple passes when cutting thicker materials.
- Do not cut close to and towards your body.
- Support the work being cut – a stable work table and cutting mat is highly recommended.
- Protect your eyes – You are only allowed one mistake in your lifetime regarding eye safety.
- Obey all the rules regarding glues and paints – especially regarding ventilation and ingestion
Finally, Do not rush!